Upon successful completion of this online course, a certificate of completion will be available to download and print.
Hazcom: What You Need to Know
HAZCOM: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ONLINE COURSE OVERVIEW
This course helps you comply with the initial and refresher training requirements of the Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200) and applicable GHS requirements. The intended audience includes all employees who have an exposure or a potential for exposure to hazardous chemicals; it's targeted at employees who need a general overview of the Hazard Communication standard's requirements.
After completing this course, students will understand:
- The dangers of working with hazardous chemicals.
- The reasons why OSHA developed the Hazard Communication Standard, and how HazCom helps prevent accidents and injuries caused by hazardous chemical exposure.
- The background information on the Globally Harmonized System (GHS) and why OSHA adopted the GHS standards.
- OSHA's definition of a hazardous chemical and the physical and health hazard classes and categories.
- The five employer requirements mandated by the HazCom Standard: chemical inventory, safety data sheets, labeling, employee information and training, and a written HazCom program.
- What a chemical inventory is and how this list of chemical information helps protect employees.
- The purpose of safety data sheets and the GHS-specified 16-section format, as well as the information that must be included in each section.
HAZCOM: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ONLINE COURSE TOPICS
- Hazard classification and categories
- Chemical inventory
- Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and the new GHS-specified 16-section format
- GHS-style labels
- Employee training requirements
- HazCom written program
- Best practices for safely handling chemicals
- The six required label elements, including the nine pictograms
Average Completion Time
Completion times vary depending on the number of times the information is viewed prior to finishing the course. The average completion time is 90 minutes.
Testing is conducted in this online course to reinforce the information presented. You are provided three opportunities to achieve a passing mark of 80% or greater.
Certificate of Completion
Upon successful completion of this course, a certificate will be available to download and print. You can access your certificate through your online account.