This online course trains drivers on CSA, the 7 BASICs, scoring & evaluation and FMCSA interventions.
CSA: Know the Basics
CSA: KNOW THE BASICS ONLINE COURSE OVERVIEW
This course provides an overview of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, (FMCSA) and its Compliance, Safety, Accountability (CSA) program. It is designed to help drivers understand what the CSA program is and what it means to them and their carrier, including detailed information on the seven Behavior Analysis Safety Improvement Categories, (the BASICs,) severity and time weighting of violations, calculation of BASIC measures, and FMCSA interventions.
Regulations covered: FMCFR Parts 382, 383, 391, 392, 393, 395, 396, 397, and Hazardous Materials Regulations Parts 171, 172, 173, 177, 178, 179, 180.
After completing this course, you will learn:
- The purpose and goals of the CSA program;
- How safety data is collected, measured, and evaluated under the program;
- About the seven BASICs and how violations get placed into each;
- Strategies for keeping BASIC scores low and avoiding FMCSA interventions.
CSA: KNOW THE BASICS ONLINE COURSE TOPICS
- Covers the seven BASICs (Behavior Analysis Safety Improvement Categories) used in the CSA Safety Measurement System (SMS):
- Unsafe Driving
- Hours of Service (HOS) Compliance
- Driver Fitness
- Controlled Substances and Alcohol
- Vehicle Maintenance
- Hazardous Materials (HM) Compliance
- Crash Indicator
Average Completion Time
Completion times vary depending on the number of times the information is viewed prior to finishing the course. The average completion time is 90 minutes.
Testing is conducted in this online course to reinforce the information presented. You are provided three opportunities to achieve a passing mark of 80% or greater.
Certificate of Completion
Upon successful completion of this course, a certificate will be available to download and print. You can access your certificate through your online account.