ABCGA approved training for ground disturbance personnel
Ground Disturbance for Supervisors 201
GROUND DISTURBANCE 201 ONLINE COURSE OVERVIEW
ABCGA approved training for ground disturbance personnel
This online course is designed for planners, managers, supervisors, and employees who are or will be required to develop, plan, and implement any kind of ground disturbance. Upon successful completion of this approved ground disturbance training
course you should be able to identify and define ground disturbance, describe the hazards of ground disturbance, decide what permits and agreements will be required, describe how to locate and identify underground facilities, describe regulations associated with ground disturbance, describe the responsibilities for owners and ground disturbers, and describe safety requirements.
This online Ground Disturbance Level 201 course contains the same course content as a classroom-delivered Ground Disturbance 201 course, which has been approved as meeting the content and delivery requirements of the “Ground Disturbance 201 (Supervisory) Safety Training Standard” of the Alberta Common Ground Alliance (ABCGA), formerly the Alberta Damage Prevention Council.
Whenever a new project breaks ground, workers are faced with a number of risks and regulations. More often than not—especially when heavy equipment is involved—provincial and national ground disturbance regulations will come into play, affecting safety standards and workplace procedures. That’s why ASTEC Safety Inc., in accordance with Alberta Common Ground Alliance (ABCGA) standards, created this online Ground Disturbance 201 course.
ASTEC Safety is a provider of high quality safety training for businesses throughout Western Canada. This Ground Disturbance 201 course complies with provincial and national ground disturbance regulations as well as ABCGA recommendations for avoiding buried facility damage. The ABCGA, formerly the Alberta Damage Prevention Council, is an open-membership organization that’s mission is to improve safety standards for workers and members of the public while reducing industry’s environmental footprint.
Therefore, this course is designed for workers in any number of industries—including oil and gas, sewage, petroleum, construction, and energy—who may require special training in ground disturbance safety before beginning work. Whether you’re a job planner, site supervisor, manager, contractor, or employee, this course will familiarize you with the regulations and legislation that govern ground disturbance standards, including Occupational Health & Safety, the Alberta Pipeline Act, and Industry Recommended Practices. If you’re digging or working with buried facilities, learning the appropriate rules and safety principles will keep you compliant and improve worker safety.
Additionally this Ground Disturbance 201 course will teach you to identify ground disturbance scenarios and their associated hazards. By the end of this course, you will be familiar with earth moving activities where ground disturbance regulations come into play, including:
✓ Excavating ✓ Plowing ✓ Drilling ✓ Backfilling ✓ Levelling ✓ Clearing ✓ Grading
✓ Blasting ✓ Stripping ✓ Tunnelling ✓ Trenching ✓ Quarrying ✓ Auguring
This course takes approximately 5 hours to complete, and course delivery includes evaluation testing and practical exercises. A mark of 80% is required to pass, and, upon completion, participants will receive a downloadable certificate valid for 3 years after the course completion date. A virtually proctored version of this course is also available.
GROUND DISTURBANCE 201 ONLINE COURSE TOPICS
After taking this Ground Disturbance online course, workers should be able to:
- Identify ground disturbance scenarios
- Identify and mediate ground disturbance hazards
- Explain relevant ground disturbance regulations
- Maintain compliance with appropriate permits, licenses, approvals, and agreements
- Deploy appropriate safety precautions related to ground disturbance
- Identify and prevent interference with buried/underground facilities
Module A: Damage Prevention
- The importance of damage prevention
- Buried facility damage and its consequences
- The responsibilities of stakeholders involved in damage prevention and ground disturbance
- Damage prevention legislation, organizations, and publications
- The need for standardized damage prevention and ground disturbance training
Module B: Ground Disturbance Planning
- The definition of ground disturbance
- The importance of codes of practice in terms of ground disturbance
- The importance of and requirements for hazard assessments and emergency response plans
- The various approvals required for ground disturbance
- The various agreements related to ground disturbance
- Onsite supervision responsibilities for all parties involved in a ground disturbance
Module C: Preparing for a Ground Disturbance
- The requirements for conducting a search for buried facilities
- The notification process and the requirements of those involved
- The responsibilities and requirements for requesting locates and locating buried facilities
- The different types of locate marks and outline marking requirements
- Hand expose zones according to regulatory and industry requirements
- Pre-job meetings and what they should entail
Module D: The Execution and Completion of a Ground Disturbance
- How to use a ground disturbance permit
- Tailgate meetings and how to conduct them
- Proper hand exposure techniques
- Proper excavation and backfilling procedures
- Damage management, incident reporting, and investigation requirements
This Ground Disturbance online course was created using standards that will allow playback on most internet capable devices with standard web browsing capabilities including Apple’s iTouch, iPad, and iPhone, as well as most other smart phones and tablets including those with Android and Windows operating systems.
Average Completion Time
Completion times vary depending on the number of times the information is viewed prior to finishing the course. The average completion time is 5 hours.
Testing is conducted in this online course to reinforce the information presented. You are provided three opportunities to achieve a passing mark of 80% or greater.
Certificate of Completion
Upon successful completion of this course, a certificate will be available to download and print. You can access your certificate through your online account.