This interactive industrial course was designed for employees who do manual work activities in jobs, and will provide an understanding of sprains and strains and what causes them.
Preventing Injuries: Avoiding Sprains & Strains
PREVENTING INJURIES: AVOIDING SPRAINS & STRAINS
This interactive industrial course was designed for employees who do manual work activities in jobs. Upon completion of the course, employees will be able to:
- Understand the definition of sprains and strains and what causes them
- Recognize the signs and symptoms associated with the early stages of a strain and sprain so that the injury can be prevented
- Be able to identify risk factors that can lead to a sprain or strain
- Learn how to minimize the risk of injury at work and at home and improve overall comfort through use of proper equipment, set up of job tasks and proper use of the body
The key features and benefits of this course are:
- Multimedia course with interactive and engaging content with audio narration
- Contains key components required under many Health and Safety Code Jurisdictions
- Employees can take the course at their convenience and revisit the content at any time
- Self-paced so employees can learn at a pace that is comfortable for their learning needs
- Reduces training costs often associated with in-person training or remote training sites
PREVENTING INJURIES: AVOIDING SPRAINS & STRAINS ONLINE COURSE TOPICS
- Module 1- Explaining and defining sprains and strains
- Examples of sprains and strains including shoulder muscle strain, low back pain and elbow tendonitis or areas of the body most affected
- Stages of sprains and strains injuries
- High risk times for injury
- Signs and symptoms
- Module 2- Risk factors associated with injury at home and at work
- Explanation of the four primary risk factors.
- Examples of each risk factor so learners can easily identify them at home and at work.
- Description how our own individual characteristics can impact our risk of developing a sprain or strain.
- Module 3- Body Mechanics
- Defining tissue capacity and demand and how if demand exceeds capacity our risk of injury increases - reinforcing knowing our limits to stay healthy and safe
- Understanding the back
- Structures that make up the back
- Proper body mechanics - safe position of the spine (S-shape)
- Proper lifting techniques for different types of loads
- Minimizing risk of injury to the shoulders and knees
- Module 4- Strategy
- Understanding employee strategies that can be used to minimize identified risks
- Safe exercises and stretches that can be used to alleviate discomfort at work and at home
- Module 5- Summary
- Prevention through awareness, cooperation, assessing a situation and knowing personal limitations.
Average Completion Time
Completion times vary depending on the number of times the information is viewed prior to finishing the course. The average completion time is 45 minutes.
Testing is conducted in this online course to reinforce the information presented. You are provided five opportunities to achieve a passing mark of 75% or greater.
Certificate of Completion
Upon successful completion of this course, a certificate will be available to download and print. You can access your certificate through your online account.