and Engagement Training
Indigenous Awareness and Engagement Training Online Course Overview
Indigenous Awareness and Engagement. Mapping Canada’s future…
Meaningful, authentic and transparent workplace engagement with indigenous peoples presents an opportunity for organizations to harness the collective knowledge and capabilities that a diverse and fair workplace can provide.
Although this course aims to point out the positive aspects of current and future Indigenous Engagement activities, past engagement mistakes will be explored to help students choose a more effective and equitable path forward.
“Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.” (~George Santayana)
At the conclusion to this training, you will:
• Have a better understanding of the history of indigenous engagement and the contributions of indigenous people to Canada;
• Have a greater awareness of the current and future prosperity of indigenous peoples and businesses in Canada;
• Be excited about the opportunity of engaging, partnering and/or learning from indigenous peoples, communities and businesses.
Indigenous Awareness and Engagement Training Course Topics
INDIGENOUS AWARENESS AND ENGAGMENT COURSE TOPICS
1. History – How we got here:
This course is designed to provide students with an understanding of the history of Indigenous Engagement and how meaningful Indigenous Engagement will lead to a brighter future for all Canadians.
2. Contributions of Indigenous Peoples:
This course will impart upon students an appreciation for the considerable contributions of indigenous people towards the formation and current success of Canada as a nation.
3. Meaningful Engagement and Partnership:
The days of broken promises and one-sided deals have destroyed the trust, and relationships that were once in place between Indigenous Peoples and what is now known as the government of Canada. Meaningful engagement in the form of real job opportunities and respectful consultation on issues such as land use is an obvious first step that many communities and companies have already taken and are reaping the benefits from. And this gesture of meaningful engagement is a two-way street as companies are benefiting from Indigenous companies allowing them the opportunity to partner with them on their projects, on their land.
4. Indigenous Entrepreneurship:
Indigenous companies are flourishing across the country by harnessing their hard work, knowledge and expertise to provide award winning competitive products and services to customers both foreign and domestic.
Although Indigenous groups and individuals across Canada are extremely diverse, one commonality involves the enduring friendly and generous spirit towards all people which they have demonstrated since first contact with European settlers despite the oppression they have faced. This kindness and benevolence has contributed greatly to the various aspects of the current relationship that have a positive outlook in the future.
This course would be beneficial for the following audience:
• Business owners looking to partner with indigenous communities, peoples and/or companies;
• Site Supervisors who are or will be working with or for indigenous communities, peoples and/or companies;
• Frontline workers who will be working alongside or for indigenous communities, peoples and/or companies;
• Environmental Specialists who can learn a great deal about local environmental protection from indigenous communities, peoples and/or companies (e.g., preservation of medicinal plants and heritage resources such as culturally modified trees, burial sites, ancient tools etc.).
• Anyone who would like to participate in making this country a more fair, honest and culturally rich place to live.
Average Completion Time
Completion times vary depending on the number of times the information is viewed prior to finishing the course. The average completion time is 90 minutes.
Testing is conducted in this online course to reinforce the information presented. You are provided three opportunities to achieve a passing mark of 80% or greater.
Certificate of Completion
Upon successful completion of this course, a certificate will be available to download and print. You can access your certificate through your online account.