This online course helps fulfill supervisors’ required drug and alcohol training.
Reasonable Suspicion Testing: What Supervisors Need to Know
REASONABLE SUSPICION TESTING: WHAT SUPERVISORS NEED TO KNOW ONLINE COURSE OVERVIEW
Section 382.603 requires that all persons designated to supervise drivers receive at least 60 minutes of training on alcohol misuse and an additional 60 minutes of training on controlled substances use. This required training is used by supervisors to determine whether reasonable suspicion exists to require a driver to undergo testing under Sec. 382.307.
This course is designed to help all persons designated to supervise Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) drivers gain confidence in regards to their reasonable suspicion testing responsibilities. Specifically, it helps fulfill the Reasonable Suspicion/Alcohol & Drug training requirements in 49 CFR Part 382.603 by:
- Covering 30 minutes of training on the prohibitions and the reasonable suspicion process,
- Covering 30 minutes of training on the effects of alcohol misuse,
- Covering 30 minutes of training on the effects of drug use, and
- Providing access to additional, offline training of:
- 30 minutes on alcohol misuse, and
- 30 minutes on drug use.
After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the regulations that apply to reasonable suspicion testing, including the alcohol and drug prohibitions
- Identify the five steps in the reasonable suspicion process and explain how to successfully execute each step
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of alcohol abuse and drug use and describe what to look for when determining reasonable suspicion
REASONABLE SUSPICION TESTING: WHAT SUPERVISORS NEED TO KNOW ONLINE COURSE TOPICS
- Rules & Regulations
- Who is Covered by the Regulations
- The Prohibitions
- CSA/Controlled Substances & Alcohol BASIC
- The Reasonable Suspicion Process
- Effects of Alcohol Misuse
- Signs & Symptoms of Use
- Health Effects
- How Alcohol Impairs Driving Abilities
- What to Look for When Determining Reasonable Suspicion
- Effects of Drug Use
- Classes of Drugs
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
- Over-the-Counter & Prescription Medications
- What Next?
- Violating the Prohibitions
- Alcohol & Drug Testing Records
- Providing Help
- Required Additional Reading on the effects of alcohol misuse and drug use
Average Completion Time
Completion times vary depending on the number of times the information is viewed prior to finishing the course. The average completion time is 90 minutes.
Testing is conducted in this online course to reinforce the information presented. You are provided three opportunities to achieve a passing mark of 80% or greater.
Certificate of Completion
Upon successful completion of this course, a certificate will be available to download and print. You can access your certificate through your online account.